Sunday, December 28, 2014

What Girl Doesn't Like New Shoes?!!

Yesterday was the day of our big shopping trip to Fleet Feet.   My husband and I headed to downtown Houston and then to Rice Village.  I dressed in lightweight knit pants and top that I could run in, and packed two pairs of running shoes I alternatively wear.  I  was very excited, and serious about this shopping trip!

When we walked into Fleet Feet, we met with Corey, a vintage runner who offered to do my fitting.  He asked me what my running program is like.  I explained that my husband and I will be competing in the 2015 Senior Olympics in Minneapolis in about 6 months and its time we got serious about being ready.  We wanted to start with the shoes.
 The first thing he asked me to do was to take off my shoes and roll my pant legs up to mid shin.  Then he had me get on the tread mill and walk while a device videoed my steps from behind me and while he walked around the treadmill observing my foot position, foot strike, and arches.


 When I got off the treadmill and he showed me the video of the back of my legs and feet while walking.  He explained  that the position of the achilles tendons up the back of your legs is optimally vertical while you are stepping or running.




 He said I was naturally vertical with bare feet and that my feet are considered "neutral" meaning my foot lands squarely with each stepped, and not pronating or supinating.  He stepped over to the huge wall of shoes on display and said that because I am neutral, that automatically eliminates about 1/2 of those shoes.  Then he asked if I had any problems with my feet when running and I did admit to a Morton's Neuroma, also known as a Runner's Neuroma in my left foot.  This is an area usually between 3rd and 4th toe where the nerve has been irritated so it enlarges and causes discomfort, especially after running. ( I recently had Dr Neil Burrell a local podiatrist, inject it with steroid and it's really comfortable at the moment. )  Corey told me the neuroma will eliminate any shoe with a narrow toe box, because any thing that causes the bones of the foot to be pushed together will make the neuroma angry.  Good to know!  The next item on his agenda, was to examine my current shoes.  I handed him a pair of New Balance and a pair of Brooks that are about 3 to 4 months old.  Corey explained that the bottom of the shoes gives them more clues as to what shoes you should wear or stay away from.


 He pointed to the soles of both and explained that they are stability shoes, and I am neutral.  Both shoes were not the best choice for  my foot shape either.  He told me that the source of my aches and pains that brought me to buy the running stick, may have been largely due to these shoes.  The wear pattern on the bottom gave him more information, and he suggested I not use these for running, training or racing.  Walking would be ok.   Then he also advised that I try a shoe with more cushioning.  My aging knees, hips, low back would thank me for that he said.  He further explained that the new materials some companies are using for extra cushion are not puffy feeling, not heavy either, but light and great for reducing impact.  Sounds good to me.  When can I try some?    Then we  finally got to the measuring.



 I was surprised how he had me stand on the measuring device and then how to bend my knees as if in a running stance, and that I was measuring for running shoes a 10!  I have never worn a size 10 in any shoe.  I wear a 9, maybe 9 1/2 medium in all shoes.  OK I say, lets see how the fit goes with these boxes he has pulled out.

The only instructions Corey has now is that I must tell him exactly how each shoe feels, fits, and he watches as I walk or run in each pair.  Elimination  lf each shoe and why is important. This is not a quick procedure.  I am glad that my husband and I had a big breakfast before starting this day.

The first pair he offered to me was by Saucony.  It was a 9 1/2 as this one runs big, and in the standard medium, Corey felt this would be wide enough for Morton.  They were very comfortable, hugged my foot, and when running it felt awesome.  The next pair was a size 10 Brooks Ghost.  Lacing it up, and walking, it felt too big to me.  Corey agreed, so he brought out a 9 1/2.  Toes can feel the end.  Corey explained how the toes will be bent when running and I guess that s a bad thing.  I do have an old pair very badly worn on the toes.  Hmmmm!   I eliminated both.  Neither were bad, just not perfect.  He brought next a pair of Brooks Glycerins.  I wanted those shoes!  Hot red and purple, they looked fast standing still.  But, sigh, they did not fit right either.  Oh how I wanted them to fit.  But, I let them go too.  After trying on at least 7 different types of shoes, I came back to the first one Corey brought to me.  His first guess was my perfect fit.  I put them on, tapped back on the heel and adjusted the laces and took them for a run on the tread mill.  He recorded again, and my achilles tendon remained vertical, no toe in, no toe out, no heel lift, etc.  I felt like hitting the road, so I took them home.

Next was my husbands turn.....at my insistence.  Ben has no problems with his latest shoes.  He reads the reviews in Runners' World magazine and with 30 +years of experience, he thinks his current shoe is good.  But he rolled up his pant legs, took off his shoes and socks, and did the same thing I did.



 Corey showed him that he has some pronation on one foot, and discussed his knee troubles with him, measured both feet, checked his current shoe, a Mizuno before declaring Ben is indeed in the best shoe for him now.  I am the only one making a purchase this time.  Before we left, I asked Corey how long theses shoes should last.   He asked me how many miles I do each week.  I told him currently 3 to 4 1/2 miles. 4 to 5 days per week.  He did the math and said about 4 months or 400miles.  Less mileage or walking more than running, can probably get 6 months out of them.  His advice is if you start having trouble and your shoes are not 4 months old, you may be wearing them faster and should replace sooner, and the opposite is also true.  You may find that the shoes are doing the job for you longer.  Things change, models are updated, new materials come out, so if you are very active, a fitting like we just did now and then is important.

My husband and I bundled up this morning ( I need to do a layering for inclement weather entry) in running tights, long sleeve Dri Fit tops, and a Dri Fit light weight jackets and  hats.  I wore my new shoes and he his current pair, and we hit the trails.  It was 39 degrees, light misty rain, moderately windy and I loved it.  It's my favorite type of running.  No one else was out.  The Loblolly Pines were fragrant, and the air cold and fresh.  Wet feet, particularly my new shoes, not so wonderful, but we got in 3.67 miles before going inside to warm up.  I LOVE the new shoes.  It was worth the trip and worth the time.  I had no after run muscle tightness or pain!  LOVE!  Thank you Corey.

I highly recommend a Fleet Feet fitting for anyone with foot discomfort, taking up a walking or running program to get started on the " right foot"!

No comments:

Post a Comment