Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Safety First ~ More Important Than The Best Shoes

I don't know what I was thinking!  I got caught up in preparing for the upcoming National Senior Olympics and  holiday hype,  forgetting to post the most important item in getting into shape, or improving the shape you are in.....safety.   Recently I  also neglected to focus first on my own safety.  A discomforting recent event brings this topic front and center for me.  

In other posts I have reminded to be sure to get your doctor's approval before starting any new activity.  This becomes more important as we celebrate more birthdays.  However once that is done, safety outdoors, if like me that is your favorite type of workout, should be next.

 A gym membership is always a safe option.  Most have a plethora of trainers or assistants around, and classes fitting your level that you may enjoy.  The only downside can be the monthly membership fees.   YMCAs offer reasonable rates and are nearly everywhere, and most facilities have the bonus of childcare for the younger members.   Many people sign up to memberships in January, intending to jump start their health with the New Year.   By March the gyms are less crowded by people who have not made the work out a part of their routine.  If you commit to getting there regularly, it can be a great way to get your sweat on and your moneys worth.   For many, just the fact they are paying, is motivation enough to keep them going.  Home equipment, if you have any, is another safe option.   For the sports enthusiast, tuning into a play-off game on TV and jumping on the treadmill to walk or run, can provide a few hours of activity.  Throw in videos on the market and there are many options.  But once you hit the streets, the track or the trail,  parking lots, time of day, weather, traffic,  and many other variables must be taken into serious consideration.

Since my brain bleed of 2012, one of the sequelae I deal with is "Attention Deficit" according to my Speech Therapist at Baptist Hospital.  Amy identified my tendency to not be aware of  common things around me.   Easily, I would zone out and not pay attention to things like curbs, time of day, a pot on the stove....and many other things that I used to unconsciously be aware of.  She guided me to a place in recovery where I learned to refocus my attention most of the time.  As with many things in life, we get busy, take things for granted, and allow ourselves to be distracted.  Due to my lack of attention, I had a startling event on a run last week.

The day after Christmas, my husband and regular running partner, was back at work.  About mid afternoon, I decided to go for a run alone.  I had my music on in my ears, I was dressed for the cold Texas winter day, and drove to my favorite gravel track,  treelined and circling a city block which includes  an office building, a gym and a parking lot.   I had a lapse in my attention.  Normally, when I run alone, I look for people sitting in cars, people coming on the track that are not attired to exercise, anything out of the ordinary for that place I have run on  all during 2014.  It is sad we can't let down our guard in this world, but it is how it is.   Music, holiday events, enjoying the weather, enjoying the run and the pace, I can't even say what distracted me that day.  About  2  miles into the run, the vest I was wearing suddenly felt very hot.  Muscles generate so much heat when moving.  I wanted to lose the vest, but not slow down my pace.  Using my Nike program, I'd planned to record a good time that day.  I veered off the track, cut through the parking lot to my car, took off the vest and put it  under my windshield wiper.  It was windy, and I did not want to stop to unlock my car.  No one was out running then.  The parking lot was only about 1/3 full.  I admit, I was not paying attention.  I cut back between cars to return to the trail again and continued to run my goal of 5k.  Walking back to my car I noticed something right away.   My vest was missing!  It was not on my car.  I was sure I had put it there, securely under a wiper blade, and it should not have blown away.  I wondered if someone could have taken it?  I was in the city after all.  Nothing was in the pockets I recalled as I continued to walk around my car searching.  I looked underneath it, near it, and around cars parked next to mine.  Nothing!  I have had this vest for a long time.  I like it, but it's just a vest.   I could chock it up for lost, but I kept looking, retracing my original steps at least 3 times trying to figure out what had happened.   By then I was very distracted, but suddenly  noticed a pick up truck in the lot,about 5 cares away, lights on and motor running.    I began to retrace my steps again, recalled running to the car and then the path I took back onto the track.  I was having one of those moments I have had many of, where  I start to question my brain and  whether it happened the way I remember.  It's still very upsetting when I am aware my brain has had a malfunction.  Could I have put it on the wrong car?  Did I stop and put it in my car and have a blank spot in my memory?  This concerns me more than the lost vest.

I am going into this to explain a bit of my current challenges, and why this is very dangerous.  I was not paying attention to the truck that was still parked and running.  I unlocked my car, looked in and did not see the vest.  I felt a bit better about my brain and memory.   I retraced my steps one more time, and saw that my vest had been relocated to a dark pick up truck near where I  had reentered the track.  It must have blown there was my first thought.  Could I have so missed my own car and been so zoned out I could not tell the difference between my car and a big truck?  I walked over to retrieve the vest I am sure must have blown there, when I saw it is firmly anchored by that wiper blade.  I had to reach up to retrieve it.  I surely would not have done that with no memory of it. I had to have put it on my  car.  Suddenly, I felt a chill unrelated to the weather.  The only sign of anyone in the area with me was that light colored pickup, headlights on and motor running.  It occurred to me that whoever was in that vehicle had a clear view of me  running, placing the vest on my car, then later circling, retracing, searching.  It also occurred to me, I may not be safe.  Vest in hand, I calmly but quickly returned to my car, locked the doors after I got in and drove home.  I  still had not tried to look at the person in the truck.  I was afraid and felt vulnerable.

 Practical joke?  It does not matter.  I am convinced my brain did not fail me.  What does matter is I  had felt safe running in a familiar public place  alone and  did not realize someone had been watching me.  That person  moved my vest and sat and watched my distress.   My #1 New Year's Resolution is to not put myself in that spot again.  With the pace of life today, you don't need a brain bleed to find yourself distracted.  Making a conscious effort to be safe cannot be over stated.

Remember the post I did on having a regular "Run Buddy"?  Running or walking alone, particularly if you are a female, is not ever a good idea.  Time of day also needs consideration.  Very early or very late in the day, I don't consider  good times either for obvious reasons.  The next thing I will mention  is  if you are alone, always carry a cellphone and don't  not run or walk the same day(s) of the week or same time of day.  Thats what we want to do.  We all have a time when we like to get out and exercise.  A "Run Buddy" is always a good idea at any time of day.  Varying times will make you safer, in many respects.  For me, varying places to run is now on my mind as well.   I will not be running at this particular place for sometime now, and not ever alone.  If I have no running partner along, I will choose the treadmill.  Another point I feel I need to make, I may run or walk in my neighborhood side streets, but I don't run in the streets with or without a partner unless it's a race or fun run and the streets are closed.  Choose a sidewalk, pathway, or track.  Cars and pedestrians don't  mix well.  Particularly since the advent of cell phones, drivers are more distracted than ever.    Not a safe place to walk or run.

 I hate to admit it, but I still struggle with attention.   I am now more aware of my personal distractions of listening to music, running program cues and weather.   This wake up call will keep me focused on my surroundings better and remind me to always try to be " street smart".
I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment