Friday, December 26, 2014

Santa Is Taking Me Shopping

Like a little kid, I am very excited  by Santa granting my Christmas wish!  I can't hardly wait until tomorrow to go to Fleet Feet in Rice Village to have a walking/running evaluation and shoe fitting by a trained professional.   I have had running shoe fittings and running gear assistance at other stores, but finding this man who has been an avid runner and understands aging issues related to physical activity is a great find for me!  I am going to have Santa get a fitting too.  This way I can help Santa Ben, my husband and running partner plus great advice to share here.

I enjoy shopping, and stopped into this store on a trip to Houston.  Heading right to the running and work out tops, (fashion concerns drove my steps)  a salesman approached and asked if I needed help finding anything to let him know.  Still excited about the Sr. Olympics approaching, I told him I was looking for a great running singlet to wear for that event.  He asked how my training program was going.   Great, except for a pulled calf muscle, and some tight IT Band discomfort recently slowed me down.   He asked me to step over toward the counter where he showed me a strange looking running stick.  Running sticks are about 2 feet long, with wheels and differing edges attached.  I told him I had one, I was not a huge fan,  but  that it did not look like that.  He sat down on a bench, started taking off his shoes and told me he was going to explain why this one is different.  Apparently a sales rep from the manufacturer approached the sales team at Fleet Feet the same way one day.  They all thought the guy was a nut when he took off his shoes, and instructed them to sit down and take theirs off as well.  He gave each of them one of the colorful odd devices and told them to roll it back and forth under their feet as they sat for a few minutes.  While they rolled, he explained to them that the first part of our anatomy that tightens with activity are the tendons in the sole of the feet.  (If you have ever had plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of one of these, the  pain can be significant and debilitating.)  He proceeded to explain how the toe bone is connected to the foot bone, the foot bone is connected to the heel bone, the heel bone is connected to the ankle bone the ankle bone is connected to the ... and so on.  By rolling and relaxing the connective tissue in the bottom of the foot, then picking it up and rolling up the sides of the calves, and rolling the IT Band and the hip, several times a day, the aches and pains related to tightness will go away.  The stick is designed differently from most by the various sizes of the wheels attached, some for tendons close to the surface and others for deeper tissue massage.  It comes in two sizes, a longer one and a short one that can be stuck in a suitcase for travel.  One stick is designed for use on carpet another for carpet or floors.  For around $30, this guy says it works and he never leaves his at home when he travels.  I say I will take the small one for all surfaces to try.  After spending $75 twice recently for a sports massage and $100 for physical therapy, it seemed like it could be a great investment.  Massages make it feel better for a few days.  Since I have not had any companies clamoring to sponsor me in the National Senior Olympics, I have to watch my pennies.  Running in the Senior Olympics is an item on my Bucket List, but I need to be sensible.                                          

                                                                                                                               Small Running Stick

As I was paying for my new toy,  the salesman told me next time I am in town to bring or wear running attire, and I can get a complimentary evaluation in the store and on the tread mill.  Foot strike, gait and pace are as important as arch shape and shoe size to proper walking or running shoe needs.  I think I will try my running stick out when I get home before I decide on this.

Once I get home, I kick off my shoes and roll away.  I am very skeptical, but I follow the instructions the salesman gave me.   I was initially surprised by the discomfort the stick rollers found in the soles of my feet.  After a few minutes, it was gone, so I moved on the the sides of the calf muslces, and found the same thing.  Unbelievable! Reflexologists would also probably approve!  I let my husband try it and he was also impressed, and so we have to share the new toy!!!
I also use this firm foam roller after a work out as part of my stretching routine.  When I was younger, I did not find stretching necessary.  In the "middle age" I find it must be a regular part of my after run  routine.  With these added inexpensive devices, I hope to run more comfortably.

No comments:

Post a Comment