Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Kate Sueoka
Shared publicly  -  3:40 PM

I decided to begin this blog, as others may benefit from my experience of a difficult long term recovery, trying new things at an older age, suddenly you need to focus on health, healthy eating, exercise, so aging is more friendly.  Along with finding the fountain of youth can be mostly in your thoughts one cannot stop aging but we sure can have a helluva ride along the way.  I had to find that one thing that made me feel alive, and exciting, healthy and strong.  We can't stop the aging process, but we can be as healthy as possible and slow the clock down.   Don't put off trying something today...there is no guarantee on tomorrow.
I have always been and wanted to stay reasonably healthy and fit.  As a girl growing up in the 60'swith few sports opportunities, prior to Title IX.  I grew up watching my brothers compete on the ball fields, courts, tracks, ice rink.  I never knew I could run, I mean really run.  My husband has been a runner and an athlete in several sports all his life.  He encouraged me to run.  To me, running was a sprint!  I could go pretty fast but not for very long.  I hated how it felt, hot, gasping, sweaty!  Yoga was my thing!  Its soothing to the body and soul.  Stretching, posing, I felt peaceful and relaxed.  That was my kind of exercise!  But then a fall on roller blades made elbow surgery show up on my calendar.  Home recovering with right arm in a sling, sort of limiting.  I read one of my husbands Runners World, and learned about walk/running.  Ha!  I had told my sons growing up that was my type of a run.  Who knew that is a great way to advance to running.  I stepped outside and put music on my iPod, and walked a block, ran around the corners or cul de sacs, building up time and distance over many days.  I did not mention to my husband Ben.  I was concerned he would take over my "training", impose a schedule, try to get me to run more with him, and I was not sure I wanted that at all.  So, I secretly continued.  After several weeks, I decided to pick some fav music, walk during the verses and run when the chorus of the songs started.  I did that many days to many different singers.  When I got so I could run more and walk less, I shared my new venture with Ben.  He was very happy!  Now we could run together he said....but when I tried I could not keep pace with him.  I either felt I had to run faster to keep up, or slow him down....took away my road dance feeling I got from running to music on my own.  It bothered me for awhile before I got up the nerve to tell him, that if I had to speed up or feel i was slowing him down, it killed the fun in the run for me.  He protested but I insisted, if we are going to run together, we must run apart.  That was 5 years ago and we are still running.  Together.  Mostly.   Along the way we signed up for some races 5K, and I found that I was actually pretty good and competitive!  I discovered in  my mid 50s, that I like to run and win
And my third age friends is how this all began!   There have been many potholes in the road  but Stay tuned!  As with life, the best is yet to come!  
Read more (55 lines)

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud to call you my friend. I love your spirit and You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bambi! I say the same of you! Thanks for sticking by me!!!!

      Delete