Friday, December 19, 2014

Run Buddy Run ~ Run Partners And Motivation

Yesterday I was involved in getting ready for Christmas, tax time, and household chores, when I realized most of the day had gone by and I had not lifted a weight or even stretched.  I felt tired, achy and procrastinated going to work out or walk.  When I spotted a new post on Facebook  from a friend, fellow nurse, and exercise enthusiast, Fidel.  His post was asking someone to run the 3 miles on his schedule for him.  It was cloudy, breezy and cool, my kind of running weather.  I first offered to run it for him, and then suggested I meet him at the track and run with him!  Due to the age difference ( I am old enough to be his mother) I thought he might pass.  He tried to pass thinking I would run too fast for him to keep pace, as he knows my race history.  I explained back to him that I can run slower too!  A race is a race.  A training run often is comfortable pace, slower and steady, for as long as you are enjoying the run.  He met me to run, I suspect it was the misery loves company ideation.  He refused to run the outdoor gravel track, ("track running makes me feel like a hamster in the wheel"say He) So we took to the road.  Fidel shared he has not run in 8 months, so I let him take the lead and set the pace.  In a previous post I mentioned that I hate trying to keep up with someone who wants to run faster...(.its a mental thing as much as a physical one), and I told him that if you don't enjoy the run, you will never continue running.   We ran down the newly redone brick sidewalks, I used my NIKE Run iPhone Program  to keep mileage/time/pace.  We ran in silence, (we were both listening to music: me, Lionel Richie Hits. I did not ask, but suspect he had something more contemporary pop or hip hop going into his ears.  The goal was 3 miles.  It took about 35 mins, a decent training pace average of 11:50 per mile if you take into consideration for traffic pauses at intersections. Decent.  Many people wanting to start a running program try to go too fast, get tired and winded and give it up.  Set your own pace.  Start with a fast walk...whatever works for you!  Fidel wants to run again with me...and I plan on sharing the new route now with my husband this weekend.  New scenery is nice!

I usually don't like to run others when I am preparing for a race.  I suffer from distraction and pace anxiety.   Another friend  has a run partner that does not run fast enough for her to get a good work out.  Running Buddy frustration only means either compromise, or looking for someone whose style best matches your own.  But for regular exercise even with pace differences it is possible to work out a run that can be effective and enjoyable for both people.  Having a Run Buddy to motivate you, and you motivate them can really work for the procrastinating runner.  You are less likely to not run or walk when you know someone is expecting you...... Having a Run Buddy is also a safety factor.  If you run at night or early morning when still dark, you are much safer not running alone.
Fidel's goal was to run three miles, and then get to Cross Fit in time for the evening workout.  Mission accomplished!
My Steady Run Buddy, my husband, Ben .... pic is blurry cause we were running!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment