Thursday, January 1, 2015

Start the Year with Mindful Eating

The box reads: "Nothing is better for thee than me"
Depending on your age, this may or may not sound familiar.  I am mindfully choosing to avoid processed foods this year in my quest to be as healthy as I can be  to compete in the National Senior Olympics 2015.  This morning, my usual plan would be to fry up some bacon, eggs and toast for me and my spouse, something special to start the new year off .
This morning while savoring my first cup of joe in front of the fireplace, I had a change of mind.
I went instead for the box of Old Fashioned Quaker Oats.  Instant is quicker, but I don't like the taste and that product is processed.  In todays world, often we think we don't have time to cook every morning before work or starting our day.  I made a plan, and the timer helped to convince me we can eat like this every day.  Planning on what foods or ingredients you buy helps to make it easier.

Old Fashioned oats take 5 minutes to cook in a pan.  Microwaves in a dish in about 2 minutes.  I pulled out a pan.  The directions call for 2 servings: one and 1/2 cups of water, a pinch of salt, brought to boiling, add 1 cup oats and cook over high heat for 5 minutes.  Before the water was boiling, I turned my oven on to 350 and put a small pan with a handful of pecans in it.  While the oats cooked and the pecans toasted, I set out the milk, sugar, honey and bananas.  Like in a hotel, I love to get my oatmeal and top it with whatever looks good.  It could be raisins, craisins, any nuts, fresh fruit, or maple syrup.  Today I had on hand the pecans, bananas and Trader Joes organic maple syrup.  I am all out of Sprague's maple syrup at the moment, for those in Western New York.  Next trip I will restock!    Maple syrup's only processing is cooking it down to dehydrate water and condense the flavor and consistency.  My Grandfather and my Uncle Van Deschler on the farm in  Portville, New York,  used to make batches every Spring, so I the wonderful experience of watching it be made!   Sweet memories!   I comes from the tree to the heat, to the container, complete with antioxidants added by the maple trees.  How can that not be good for me?

From start to finish it took me less than 10 mins. to make a great breakfast with only one pan to wash.  I completed my hot steamy bowl with a splash of maple syrup, and a handful of toasted pecans.  My husband instead sliced a banana and added pecans to his.  Thinking of your food as fuel you are building and supporting your body with for me makes healthy food choices easier.  Your taste adjusts with time, and the occasional bacon will not hurt.  Variety is important to get all the nutrients  our bodies need.

Next we will take our New Year's Day walk, and day one of your plan to make every day healthy is well under way!  Tomorrow is a run day for us, also part of the plan!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment