Sunday, January 25, 2015

I am going to " The Bar(re)"before I run....

Heading out to the barre today for some cross training.  My friend and work out buddy, Norma, talked me into joining her at a new class she raves about.  The cost was $10 for an hour.  Bring your own mat, towel, water, dressed to work out.   I was not sure I had the time to spare, but after several invites, I decided to meet her and give it a try.

I know exactly where this class meets cause its right next to an Orange Leaf frozen yogurt store. (Yep, I am into most things food related.)

Running a few minutes late, I took a spot on the floor of this dance studio toward the back.  It was a bit dimly lit, mirrored and fairly crowded.  My take on this class is it is a blend of squats, bends, lunges, lifts, Yoga, using the ballet barre for support, and ballet foot positions to vary the muscles  being worked.  Light weights were added at times.  The class ended with floor exercises and then stretches.  I have been cycling and running... a lot.  I slip in a round of Tabata or Pilates now and then when I have time.  I was not expecting the effects this class had on me.  Half way through the hour, I had to look down at my legs to see what the problem was.  They were feeling like rubber bands and shaking.  I needed to sneak a break or two into the class.  I discovered a great work out for the hamstrings.  My quads tend to overpower my hamstrings when running.  I think I found the fix to that!  My hamstrings are very tender today.  I feel a new soreness in an obviously unused area of my glutes.  How can this not help me be faster?
Apparently, this effectively works out areas of my legs that all the other things I have been doing  did not, or at least should help balance things out.

When the pain would get to me, I would keep in a tall stance, listened to the trainers voice, music and tried to pretend I was a ballerina.  I think it helped a little!  Stretching a bit more today, I resolve  to go and try "The Barre"  again.

There's always something you can find to increase your fitness, meet new people, learn something new that you can enjoy.  You must care enough about yourself and your health to find it!

I had a run to get in as assigned by our trainer, so when I got home, my husband and I headed out for that run.  He was ready to go, while I was hoping to get it done before the stiffness and pain set into my legs.  A smart purchase of "Pepsom Sports Soak", Fire and Ice Formula, was very helpful.    I think before the National Games arrives, I will have used many bags of this.  Its all part of the experience.  At least thats what I have been telling my myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment