Monday, January 5, 2015

Count Down to Minneapolis

The Senior Games are exactly 6 months away.  In fact the Games begin on the 3rd of July, and our RoadRace 5K is on July 6.    We are anxiously waiting  to register.   The State we qualified in was Louisiana.  Louisiana has not yet completed the qualifying information, so we are waiting every day to be able to register.  We live in Texas but they have reciprocity.  In April, when the Texas State Qualifier was going on, I was not yet ready.  Not even close.   Fast forward to late summer and I ran in my first race since my brain bleed ,a first in my age/gender group.  Thats all it took to get me thinking once again, I can do this!

In order to qualify for 2015, it meant a trip to New Orleans.  I am not sure if we will be a part of Team Louisiana or Texas.   My husband and I have both agreed if we are part of Louisana's team, we will be the two wearing shorts designed to look like the Texas State Flag with the Louisiana shirt and bib.  I don't even like alligators.

I was the most nervous before that race, because it meant a lot to me.  Being honest, I may not be able to qualify in two years.  In fact, it  was not my best race.  I took 1st in spite of myself.  I started off way too fast, and a woman fell right in front of me.  My music and GPS via Nike + went haywire.  It was hot that morning and we ran with head wind, and cross wind on a raised Levee along the Mississippi.   We did not warm up enough before it began.   We both qualified, and that was our goal, but I did not enjoy the run that day, and had several pulled muscles immediately afterward.  

 Since it's getting close, I have been trying to run some nearly every day.  I suspect I need to focus on overall and core strength, and run less.  If I train too hard, think too much, not get enough sleep, I take steps backward.  My brain needs more rest than my body.  I had a few backward steps this week, and have had to trim back on life in general.  If I forget, life gets hectic and my head feels like a huge snow globe that is continuously shaken.  Not good, and my brain is my most limiting factor.  Its unsettling when I find myself with aphasic moments.  However, I have learned to deal with it.  I have not forgotten how far I have come.  I need to focus on the training, cut back on other things, and restart the afternoon naps.  Its like unplugging a computer if the CPU overheats.  For me its still more essential than training.   I run my best, when I feel my best.  


So, the other night, we were watching the movie " 4 Minute Mile" on Netflix.  I am not a huge fan of sports movies.  I would rather watch a game, but my husband chose this one  It was really good, and got him thinking.  Maybe we need to confer with a running coach.  Its been a long time for him, and   he's the only coach I have had.  So we start a new Internet search.  We found several Certified Running Coaches  who will analyze you, your goals and work up and give you a training session.  If you decide you want, one  coach that sounded good, for an additional price will  provide you a month by month  training plan to help you reach your goals.  Since this may be a once in a lifetime event for us, we considered a few different coaches, emailed the one that sounded like he is accustomed to "older athletes" and waited to see if he would take us for one session on Ben's next day off.  We have accepted to meet him in a park in Houston that has an asphalt track for a joint session.  For the two of us, the fee is $75.  We don't know if it will help us, but have decided to try it just for fun.  Who knows?  We are spending money on Airfare, hotel, and food, why not $75 that may help us to get a step or second closer to a medal.   Medal or not I am also excited to spend time with my friend Jan Lunz there.  She was an exchange student with me in New Zealand, and plans to cheer us on.   Ben and I have never been to Minneapolis/St Paul and thats exciting.   The competition will be extraordinary.  Thats why we will meet with Coach Tim on Friday.  

 The forecast for Friday afternoon, is another cold day.  We will dress in layers.  We will eat like an athlete.  We will think like an athlete, try to run like an athlete and report back.   Why not?  Its fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment