Friday, January 2, 2015

Fitbit Frenzy.....and other Fitness Motivation

Looking out my front door, coffee in hand, I saw my friend Laura out for a brisk walk with her dog.  I snapped a picture with my iPhone! I am proud of her!  I am motivated to work out by others.  She came to my door one day, recent lab results in her hand, for my advice.  I am a nurse.  She a pharmacist, did not want to just commit to taking cholesterol lowering drugs for life.  We talked diet changes, increasing activity, and getting her body back into normal levels.  Busy with work, three dogs, two teenagers, she finds it challenging to get enough sleep!  I suggested she put herself first and find 30 minutes a day for her to be active and get moving.  She had done at least one 5k with me and is a black belt who has stopped teaching as well.  It makes me happy to see her out before work, fast paced walking and even taking a dog now and then along for the walk.
Laura and Chewy

 After her walk, she stopped by to chat for a moment, and told me about the Fitbits her coworkers are getting to start 2015.  I had a basic knowledge of them and had even looked at them in Target awhile back.  I use my Nike Run+ program.  It provides my music to run by, tracks my pace, total time, miles per run, total miles, calories and makes a GPS map of each run stored in my phone and laptop.  It also has verbal cues, encouragement, and challenges.  You can link with other runners you know and have friendly challenges between you.  Motivation!   Since we like to travel, and have family in different areas, its fun to look back at that run in June of 2014 around Cuba Lake in Upstate New York,  6.98 miles with hills!  I am encouraged looking back on my accomplishments.  Nike +  does what I want.  I must put it in a pouch on my arm, in a pocket or up my sleeve if its cold enough for long sleeves to allow it to work.  I have my phone, charge it every night so its already to go.  To optimize the music link and verbal cues, I have moved from my regular wired ear buds to wireless.  I need to be sure to charge them too, but together they currently do everything I want.  So why all the Fitbit hype?   What does it do that I need?
Fitbit Fashion

After a long internet search, including watching several videos and reading reviews of users I have come to a few conclusions.  Fitbits are great motivators, particularly for those of you who are not yet routinely active.  The act of putting a wristband on that helps monitor your activity and even sleep, can be a constant reminder to walk and thereby increasing your current activity.  It tracks workouts, calories, steps, syncs with your phone/computer and graphs your progress.  The basic unit, Flex, starts at $59.95,  and on your wrist a constant reminder.  Seeing your progress in a chart is very motivational too.  I am intrigued , and think I may need to try one.  

The Pro B is light, rubber so totally waterproof and made to fit any wrist size.  This can go up to 5 days without charging which is a good option.  It seems easy to use, tracks sleep to show how much you move in sleep, how much you wake up and more.  

The only "cons" I found online about these devices, is the use of the app itself.  You must set it or adjust it to be ready for whatever activity you are doing.  It is not able to spontaneously adjust to arm waving vs walking.  The motion sensor is not infallible.   This also can be adjusted for apparently, but it again requires less spontaneity and more time is needed to tap it into the right mode or change modes for accuracy.  One user said he found he couldn't just up and go....he had to remember to stop and change activity from walk to run and back for accuracy all day long.  
 These are but some of the options, colors, and for the fashionista, there is a Tory Burch model that for $195 looks like a fine piece of jewelry.  It should for that much money.  You also need to invest in the basic unit to put into the bracelet.  I would advise starting out with a simple flex band to see how it goes first.  
Fitbit Bejeweled

Statistics by Fidbit claim that people wearing a band, take 43% more steps than they did before wearing.   For those just beginning a resolution to walk more, become fit, who are not now active people, this may be just what they need to be sure to keep on moving!  If so the Fitbit store has holsters, charging stations, clothing, a scale and other items to add to your collection should you choose.  Stores carrying them include Amazon.com, Radioshack, Walmart, Best Buy, and of course the Fitbit website.  After consideration, for now, I am comfortable with my Nike+ Running Ap for iPhone.  It does everything I want it to do.  That being said, I am beyond the newly beginning fitness stage.  It would have helped me last year.  I am already committed to running at least 3 days a week for at least 3 miles a day.  I work out in between and my weight is where it should be.  I need improvement but from what i read, I am not convinced I can benefit enough from trying this device.  

I did make a purchase after all!  I saw on Fitbits.com  something we could use,  a scale.  The Fitbit scale tracks BMI, body fat %, weight changes, and graphs out via wifi to your computer or mobile device.  Tracking long term progress, dietary changes can be more motivation to stay on track.  For $129 it comes with batteries and instructions for several more programs it can do for you
 Muscle weighs more than fat and as you build muscle, it can be discouraging to see your numbers go up, even though you are fitter and slimming down.  I think my husband will love this!  It is hard to see in this pic but also comes in black, and can privately accommodate stats for 5 or more members of you household.
Fitbit Scale in White

On GMA this morning, a section on  "Hottest Work Out Wear and Fitness Apparel for 2015", they showed the sports bra that records your work outs, a pair of fit wear capris that track and analyze your muscle movements, stink guard work out shirts, and other items.  I will highlight many of these during the year.  Find your fit to keep you fit!  


Since addressing motivation, I have the up coming Senior Olympic 5K and to be ready, my husband and I  plan to schedule one race a month through June.   We are planning month by month what we need to do to be healthy, strong and fit.   An upcoming run on the calendar keeps us focused week by week.  The key to lifelong fitness is commitment to something you enjoy and knowing what motivation you require to keep it up.  Fun Walks for charities, Fun Runs and races are all year round all around the country.  During 2015 I plan to explore many of these options.  

Long distance motivation can as well.  Patty, my sister in law in Almond New York  sent me information on Trail or Ridge Runs after she completed her first one.   Trying new things is motivational, so  Ben and I signed up for one  in November. We  had so much fun, we want to do more of these too!  Patty and my nieces Becky and Katie are also all motivating each other via Facebook and txts, to compete the 100 day 1 mile a day challenge from January to April.     You must not let more than 3 days lapse between runs in this challenge.   They all live in 3 different states but via internet they are doing it together.  I joined the challenge and  I invited Facebook friends I know like to run. A  friend in Georgia who just completed the Dallas Marathon joined the challenge as well.  Whatever works to get you going, we all benefit!  
Stay well and " find your fit!"                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment