Monday, January 19, 2015

Personal safety.....second thoughts

A runner was attacked in my neighborhood last week.  She was out for a run, I presume in her neighborhood, before the sun came up, and before work or before her kids had to get up and go to school.  I am not sure exactly, but of the people male and female who run either before daylight or after sunset, it is because of work or family issues make this the easiest time of day to get their exercise in.  It seems she was running in the street, when a male jumped out of some bushes behind her, grabbed her and tried to drag her back into the bushes.  It was before 5am, mostly dark, and not many people out.  She fought back and struggled, and thank God another man driving in a car happened to notice the struggle, stopped to offer assistance and the attacker ran off.  This is considered a very nice, safe area.  Is anywhere or anytime safe?  I had already written on safety and running after my strange creepy encounter.  I believe I said I do not run after dark.  Ever.  I did when I was younger and teaching at a high school.  I liked to take a 30min run before my shower and going to work, in my own "safe" neighborhood at that time.  I may be older now but I am also wiser.  For many reasons, its just not safe.  Being struck by a car doesn't interest me either.  I don't run in streets unless closed to traffic or my immediate block I live on, and I try to always keep alert when I do that.

After this  recent incident, I had some friendly blog followers ask me to write on how to run safely in darkness.  They are busy moms and employed during days.  I understand their problem.  The debate going back and forth via the internet or texts began with the question: Mace vs Taser? Get a permit to carry a handgun?

I decided to research articles on safety and running.  After two days of reading and searching, I came to the conclusion there is no absolute safety running outside.  The general advice of many had several things in common to stress.

1)  Don't run at night.  If you must, wear a head lamp or cap with light built into the brim.  These are sold to construction workers who may need to peer into attic spaces, under sinks etc.  Restoration Hardware carries them, as does Gander Mountain.  Reflective clothes are necessary too.  Safety better in numbers.  Don't run with music in your ears.  You can't hear someone coming up behind you.

2) Mace or Pepper Spray is effective on attacking dogs or people.  Runners should carry some.
Runners should not carry guns or knives.  If overpowered, they can be used against you.  I would think the same can be said for Tasers.  The phone for safety should always be in hand or in a pocket.  One girl who was interviewed about running safety said there have been times when she pretended to be talking to someone on the phone when someone looked like they were approaching her.

3) Never run without your run buddy for best safety.  No matter when, better to venture out with someone.  Don't run alone.  If no one can go with you, reschedule and go to a YMCA, or local gym and take a Spinning class, Tabata, Barre, or Pilates instead.

4) Take a self defense class.  My friend Brian suggested Tae Kwan Do.  They will conduct self defense classes if there is interest.  If enough of my blog readers message me, and I will go to the one in town and arrange one for runners.

5) Vary the time and the places you run.  Don't park your car in the same places when you are leaving to run.  You don't want anyone who is looking for a victim to be able to figure out your routine, and what you drive.  Besides, variety can be a good thing.

It is sad that the world we live in has become so unsafe.  It is despicable that females must be always hyper vigilant because we are not as powerful as the predator.  Just because we are familiar and feel safe in out own neighborhood, doesn't mean we are safe.  Not ever.  I have some blog readers from Germany and Saudi Arabia.  I am sure the rules above apply to them as well.  Running makes you feel light and free.  The fresh air is energizing to me.  We should not stop our running.  We must however take these basic rules and follow them for us to really feel free.  Giving it up, fearing and not running takes  joy from life.  Don't give up, be smart.  Be safe.  Run with friends.

The day after this was on the news, I did not run.  I pondered the situation, and I tried to think of times I unknowingly put myself at risk.  The only time I could think of was the day someone was watching me run and them search for the vest I had taken off and left on my car.  I had my music on, and I was not concerned that no other regulars were using the track that day.  That track circles a city block that is lined with big old southern oaks, and cedar trees.  It is also encircled by various dense bushes and a wrought iron fence.  I had felt safe here.  I was alone, and I was not paying attention.  Before each run, I try to be sure either my music is low, or that I only have one ear piece on.  I look for others where I am running, daylight only, and be sure to pay attention to people hanging around, not running.  I cross the street if I see anyone I don't wish to pass.  I run with someone else.  If there are not safe situations I take to a treadmill or recently a spinning class.  These classes are really great cross training sessions, and they are early morning or later evening to accommodate  working people.  This is my new go to, when I want a good workout that will enhance my running, and want to be unconcerned for an hour.  I used to love sort of enjoying the weather, the out of doors, and the peace of running alone.  I am now thinking running with a run buddy or three is truly the better idea.

A few of my favorite Run Buddies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment