Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Motivation for Today......

Due to the hot steamy weather, it is necessary for us to get in our training runs early in the day or late.  We could run inside on a short track, or on a tread mill but that is not going to help as much on an outdoor road race.  Trying to get myself psyched up to hit the trail this morning, I went online to the National Senior Games website to send a question in regarding the Athlete Packets we are supposed to be receiving by mail and have not yet!  It is less than a month until we are boarding the plane for Minneapolis, and want to be sure we are all set to run.   When I logged into the site, this is what I found!

The elevation map is comforting!  Living here, our training is reasonably flat terrain.  I expect humidity, and hope for cooler early morning temps than we have here that time of year.  
What I did not anticipate, is on one page of the roster, I recognized names of at least 4 elite runners are unfortunately ones with birthdates falling into my bracket.  Two of them have existing National Record times!  That is discouraging for a few moments, but then, I am lacing up and getting out there.  I plan to do my best, and my best that day I hope will be a personal best time FOR ME, regardless of the type of competition I will be up against.  

This is but one page of entrants!  Its going to be a HUGE race by numbers.  Another boost for me is this will not only be the biggest competitive event for me to run in, but the biggest race by far in participants, and everyone who runs has met the timing criteria in qualifiers.  At this moment I feel slightly out of my league!  I best get out to the track before it gets much hotter today!  I have to try!  

No comments:

Post a Comment