Wednesday, June 17, 2015

How The Bar(re) Jumpstarted My Speed Work

I run, I cycle, I walk, I row, at least 3 days a week.  So far since June 1st I have logged in more than 25 miles.  I have not tried to push myself or go all out yet, trying to safeguard against injury.  However, I still think altogether, I am pretty fit.  I am on target with pace, compared to how i trained for the NASA race at the Johnson Space Center this spring.  Why then does one Barre class kick my butt?  Cross training like this is difficult.  Misty uses some of the Tabata technique of doing difficult activity for short periods of time, with brief rest in between sets.  This is powerful.  If I am this tight and sore today, I waited too long to get back to the barre.  This class uses literally all your muscles.  I feel strain in my arms, rib area, abs, shoulders, not just quads.  Today I am working, but otherwise taking a rest day.  I don't attribute this to just the barre class although it was strenuous.

"Two a days.'.....are better known am and pm workouts for football teams.  Yesterday I in addition ran for 1/2 mile on a tread mill then another 2miles of speed work on the indoor track.   I did splits of 8.3 min per mile pace  and instead of walking for recovery periods, I ran at a 9.5min/mi pace.  I plan to rest and allow my muscles to recover today before adding on miles.  Next week will be 4 mi/day, build up to 5 at a decent pace.  I plan to rest the two days before the race, so that means my workout program will end July 3.  Then my preparation and adrenalin will be in charge.

A high school friend passed away recently, who has been one of my encouragers.  Walkin' William, Billy Karl had told me to keep on going.  He could walk but he could not run, and for me to give them hell!  I will do that Billy, I will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment