Thursday, June 4, 2015

Doing My Homework for Smart Training

Now that I have a copy of the race map, I am planning out how I will attack the course in advance.  Those runners who live close can actually now be out training on the exact course.  I do not have that advantage, so I am going to try to plan out how I will run in in my head.  For the mature runner, it is not advisable to push your speed on turns.  It magnifies the pressure on the aging joints.  This course has a lot of curves and sharp turns.  Familiarizing myself with those turns and the straightaways, I am currently of the mindset that I may be able to maximize my performance by planning my increased pace for the straight parts of the course in advance.  Of course on race day with adrenalin, and the highest level of competition I have ever encountered, the planning evaporate when the starting gun sounds.  But, since I am not an elite runner, and have not been running for more than a handful of years, at this point, I need to be smart and use strategy to help me plan and over come the race day jitters.

My guesstimate is that the elevation is about 100 feet less than the run around Cuba Lake, in about the same climate.  The graph looks to me like the race starts on higher ground, the first mile is a gradual down hill, with a slight rise at about mile 1.5, then declines to level before the climb to the finish line.  Because of the terrain I live in, I will need to start adding hill climbs on the tread mill to give myself a chance to be the best prepared I can be.  The New Orleans Qualifier had several climbs with one at end of race with a sudden downhill to the cross the finish line.  At that point, I understood why they chose the levees along the Mississippi for the race course!  Makes it a bit more taxing to say the least.  Today's a cross train day............ maybe I will run up and down stairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment