Sunday, June 21, 2015

Focus and Staying Strong

Ben and I got emails from The  Texas National Senior Games inviting us to join them in the Parade of States, a newly reinstated tradition. Since we qualified in Louisiana, we had been waiting to receive notice which team we would be considered a part of.   We were told the attire was to be denim shirts.  Those who have participated previously will have the NSOG Texas Logo embroidered on them.  First timers will not.  This is all new to us.  Although we live in Texas, neither of us currently owns denim shirts.  Really.  I am not running out to buy them, as the parade happens on the evening of July 10.  With so much going on in our lives, we planned on being home the night of the 8th, unless by some miracle one of us places or medals.  Then the travel plans would be changed.  I assume the mall of America would have denim shirts if we end up needing them!

After  we close on two homes and a lot we also sold recently, packing up our belongings for storage and the attending a tax appraisal hearing in Houston,  Ben will also be  working a full week before moving into a local apartment.    Then we will head to Houston to fly out on July 4.  That gives us one day to scope out the course and acclimate before our race on the 6th.  When we tried for this Bucket List event, we did not know Ben would be changing job paths, our land would sell finally and need to be moving right before the games.  This is a test of mental and physical strength for us.   Running is so much mental as physical.  Commitment and goals are needed to get to your personal best.  The greatest challenge right now is the focus on what is necessary, which hurdles are necessary, and which ones you can run around instead of over.  I know what I want to do.  I know what I need to do.  I have a lot of family and friends supporting me to set my personal best at this upcoming event.  I am doing my best.

This is a crazy overloaded week.  Fitting in the training runs will take more mental focus than physical work.  Running helps me get my mind off things and relax.  When I am done, I feel accomplished and like I can take on anything.  Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment