Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Training Races, Running Smart and Having Fun

This blog post will be about my experience with training for the older runner.   I had a theory after reading many articles and spending one session with a running coach.  I chose to dilute what the coach had outlined for me to do.  He wanted me to try to complete mileage, negative splits, splits and fartleks or speed training every week with one day of rest.  I tried for one week, and I quite frankly felt I had a job I did not enjoy.  It was exhausting.  I backed it down and got better results.  This was not a fluke!  Some people are gung ho about everything they do.  I am not.  If I am going to be in it for the long haul, I have to enjoy the process.  I think most people are like this.  You need to know your style, your goals, and what you enjoy doing to make it a lifestyle.  I have had a lot of time to reflect on this!
Speed training is very important if you are competing for times.  But it can be gradually incorporated into an enjoyable run pace, gradually decreasing the time it takes you to run say, 4 miles.  My race to date  has been the 5K.  Why?  As a beginning runner, 6 yrs ago, this was the first goal I set for myself.  It was fun, a challenge and I liked the distance.  This is not long distance, not extreme running.  Its a  3+ mile long sprint.   Day to day I am competing with myself, and my previous times, in varying elements.  It is working for me.  Last week I had managed to adjust my fun training runs from 10 min. mile average to 9.  I held it for a week, and then we had a race yesterday.  Training runs are to set your pace.  Its to maintain a certain form and cardio level.  For me to continue, and I think I am like most older female runners, it must be fun.  Just liking the fitness and the toning is not enough for me to hit the road daily.  I could maintain this level and still find it fun.
Older runners should maintain a sense of humor!  


What have I done differently?  I have incorporated short bursts of speed training.  I have managed to without discomfort run 4 to 5 miles at a 9 min. pace after the speed work.  Very importantly, I think, I added a longer warm up period to my pre race routine.  Short slow jog, then stretching, then more aerobic lunges, kicks, deep knee bends and stretches.  About 30 mins. of mild exertion to warm up my body and keep it moving until the start of the race.
Aliens vs Astronaut 5.05k Race April 4 at NASA Houston


What was the result?  I took off faster than I had planned but I did not find myself straining.  After one mile, I checked my Nike iPhone program and saw my average pace was 8:30.  The road turned then into a strong head wind, and I decided to slow down to 9 min. /mile pace, and push forward.  The extra resistance of the wind was tiring, so I thought the slightly slower pace would help conserve  my breathing and stamina for the next two miles.  At two miles I felt fine and dropped the pace back again a bit to just over 8 min./mile pace.  The finish line came sooner than I anticipated.  It was a 5.05K, so a bit longer, but being used to a quick pace for 4 to 6 miles, gave me more strength at the end of this race.  I did not push hard, because I do not want to increase a chance of injury.  Doing the math, my average pace for the entire run, I guestimated to be 9 min/mile, was actually 8.67min. per mile, which is better than I had hoped for at this time.   I would like to get that race pace down to 7.67 per mile.  I think this is within my reach.  I would be content with being at least close to a medal in the Senior National Games.  I was not out of gas at the end of this race.  I could have pushed a bit more if it really counted.  Thats the idea behind training for older runners, by easing into it, injury prevention, trying to peak at the right time.  I am finding my own way by choice, and by how I feel, but it is working for me as I am making my goals.  My point here is not that I am any expert, but far from it.  My point is that everyone is different, we run or walk for different reasons, and we have to be knowledgable but then modify to suit our individual needs and goals.
I am very pleased with my training and results so far.  I came in 1st place for women 60-64, and 3rd place of Men and Women combined 60 -64.  I am right where I hoped I would be for the National Senior Games 5K July 6.  

No comments:

Post a Comment