Thursday, April 16, 2015

Strong Running, the Reason for Cross Training

As my training for the National Games progresses, so does my concern for injury prevention.  Pain and injury is the one thing that can prevent me from meeting the goals I have set.  Older runners must listen to the body post work out and to know how to avoid injury.  The more miles you have on you, the more careful you must be.
More stretches, rollers and running stick massages per mile
Stability Ball for the Reverse Hip Raise will be handy too.  




The most common complaint of middle aged or vintage runners is knee pain and discomfort.  I have had my share.  After the most recent race, I met the running goals and had a comfortable finish.  After one day rest, I hit the road and trail again, for 3 to 4 miles.  It was after that run that I noticed some tightness in my hamstrings, and hips.  Along with this my knees were aching if I went up stairs.   I proceeded to do more sets of stretching for the next few days,  ran a slower 4 mile, to see how I felt.  Again, some aching especially when going upstairs was noticed.  Researching injury prevention and running stronger, I came across a book review.  The book is called Running Strong, by Dr. Jordan Metzl.  Dr. Metzl wrote that Strong quads stabilize the knee.  Strong Hips, gluten, and core prevent your hip from dropping during a run, which prevents knees from caving in.  That sounds painful, so I decided to add more quad strengthening cycling.  I like the gyms recumbent bike, cause I can answer emails, read or catch up with Words With Friends while doing 10 miles.  I usually set the resistance lately at 8 or 9 on the bike.  That helps the quads, but what about the rest of the support system?  Dr Metzl recommended doing strengthening exercises 2 x per week or more if you are injury prone.

1) Jump squats.  Just like this sounds, standing with feet hips width apart, squat down, push butt backward (like sitting), then explode upwards as high as you can, landing softly.  Dr. Metzl recommended doing 4 sets of 15 of these.  I am not sure I can do that many.  I am saving this one for a few days down the road!  It sounded like the most intense one.

2) Side lunges.  Clasp hands in front of you with feet more than hips width apart.  Shift your weight to left leg while lowering butt backward and bending right knee.  Without raising all the way to standing, shift weight to the right leg, bending left knee and pushing but backward.  Do this one 15 reps both left and right sides, 5times.  I like this one.

3) Walking Lunges.  Just like it sounds!  You step forward with one foot, knee bent at 90 degrees, knee directly over ankle and back knee bending until front quad is parallel to the floor.  Alternate legs with lunges in a walking motion for 3 sets of 15 each side.

4) Strengthen the Core-Mountain Climbers.  Maintaining a plank position, bend first your right knee in and then extend back to position.  Then do the same with the left leg.    Do these as fast as you can while still maintaining a parallel plank position, abs in head in line with rest of the body.  Its important to strengthen the core by keeping this posture. Do 3 sets of 15 each side.

5) The one I am most interested in right now is Dr. Metzl called the Reverse Hip Raise.  I notice when my hip flexors are tight, my knees feel pulled out of place minutely.  However this causes them to ache.  When I stretch the hip flexors and the glutes and piriformis muscles, the knees feel fine.  I want to try to incorporate this for a few weeks to see if by strengthening these structures, I can eliminate or reduce the discomfort post race.  To do this exercise, you need either a wt bench or a stability ball.  Position yourself face down over the stability ball about mid abdomen.  Keeping your legs straight and together, raise them so feet are off the floor and they are even with the torso. Hold them here and tighten gluten, then lower.  Again, 3 sets of 15 of these should do the trick for one session.

If you have older knees, building up the supporting structures is necessary.  If you have knee issues, see a doctor before beginning running.  Ice, heat, massage, physical therapy and antiinflammatory meds can all be supportive care.  Your doctor can best guide you to what is best for you.  Keeping active is important enough its is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment