Friday, April 10, 2015

After A Race and Transition Back to Training For The Games

   Usually the morning of a race my husband tells me I get my "race face" on.  All business!  I think this is funny as I am not at all aware of my "race face".  I guess this is the moment when I need to have one in order to be competitive.
Now I am developing the "Think Like an Athlete" mantra to incorporate the serious long term training I need to complete to give myself the best chance at a medal in the Senior Games.  The life long elite runners have that edge.  I need to learn it.   My goal is to train better, for longer and be able to maintain my race pace easier and for longer distance regularly.  How long rest period is needed after you race?  One runner told me one day for every mile you race or run very hard, for older runners.  It takes more time for your body to recover and then be ready to begin training again.



Because I achieved my week's goals I had set for myself,  and medaled at the race April 4th, I rested for 3 days, then this morning I treated myself to a long self paced run, for enjoyment.  The weather is cloudy, light rain.   Since it had been 3 days, I felt confident I could run easily.  But this was not completely the case.   I began by sticking to my comfort pace, I realized once I was done that my comfort pace is a bit faster than before the speed work.  That was encouraging!  I want to be able to race my best and hopefully enjoy it too!  But since I did race last weekend, I have been somewhat stiff in my low back, legs and knees, even after the 3 days rest.

 Being an older runner, I need to be sure I give myself enough time to recover.  Depending on how my body feels, that may mean even more time for rest or cross training.  The body needs the rest to restore and build up strength.  Todays run, sooner than I had planned  ended at 3.5miles, because I am stiff.  I had hoped the run would help loosen up tense muscles, but this was not the case.  Ending early,  I added more stretching to help with that.
I am ever concerned to not get an injury.  As we are older, its easier to be injured and  more difficult to recover. Speed work is the most common way to be injured.   In addition, in the process we lose training time, stamina, and muscle mass.  I don't have time for any issues from now until the National Senior Games in July.  Warming up before and stretching after workouts is crucial.  More than adequate rest and recovery time is imperative.  Running every day for an older runner is not necessary or recommended.  One article I read in "Running Times" suggested older runners run 3 days per week.  I tend to run ever other day, but am trying to focus on listening to my body, and not over train.
 Since my brain bleed, I still do best with the afternoon nap.  When I try to drop it, I pay the price with increased ear ringing and foggy thinking.  My low back and legs are still stiff and achy,  so I am going to take another day off running and tomorrow ride the bike, and stretch.  Cross training may help the muscles that are still tired from racing.  So, that being said, I am heading off to the shower,  then the nap!  Enjoy your walk or run!

No comments:

Post a Comment