Thursday, April 30, 2015

Priorities For Masters Running As Time Goes On

I have been reading articles on running as we age, and have come across a few more words of wisdom to share.  Whether you are on a running or walking program, it all applies.

Learn to appreciate your successes, recognizing that your running years are limited.  But Running remains a life long sport.  As long as you can move your feet at whatever speed, you can run.  But successful running with advancing age requires you to revise your expectations with regard to racing and training.  This does not mean to give up trying to win, but to focus on your own personal best, either in time or mileage.

Make allowances for every year of aging.  It may take longer to ramp up to race mode than it did when you were 30.  Expect it and plan for it.  Allow more rest days after hard training.

Become an expert, paying attention to your need for rest , recovery, as no single formula works for everyone.

Take advantage of established fitness, to maintain performance with less effort.  Thats where I stand right now.  2 months out of my biggest race yet, I am in the maintain mode, so I have less time and trouble amping up for racing.  I have to "pace" myself to stay as strong as I can without injury.  This is where todays work out came in.

I went to Yoga with my favorite Yogi, Angi Walker.  Its an all over stretching, posturing, breathing, focusing using your own body weight as resistance.   Downward Facing Dog stretches the hamstrings.  The warrior poses strengthen the quads and knees.  Stretches and poses increase circulation to all the muscles in the body.  I walked in with a stiff sore back, and a bit stressed.  I came out, calm, relaxed, flexible and with less back discomfort and tight muscles.  An hour of Yoga is great cross training, strengthening and stress relief; well worth the $10 admission fee.   Many runners use it regularly.  As its getting hotter here in Southeast Texas, I plan to  do a bit more of Yoga, Pilates and Tabata inside in the AC for training in May, along with running days of steady pace for 4 miles.  My plan currently for June is similar, except the first two weeks I will be running at least 5 miles during training run days with some speed work.  The last two weeks I will begin to taper off, and have a few days rest before the race.  No matter what happens, it will be the best I can do when race day arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment