Saturday, April 11, 2015

Sharing, Rules of The Road and Manners Matters

A Cool, cloudy  63 breezy degrees plus humid, but over all today was  a good day for a run or walk.  Sharing the trail is a challenge when you are running and others are walking, more talking than walking or other events are going on around you.  We have rules of the road.  Rules of running are a little more unspoken.  Naturally, I tend to run on the right side of the trail or path.  Then when I encounter someone not going as fast, I pass on the left,  just like driving.  Not everyone thinks this way however.  The rule of the running track or trail, is to run counter clock wise.  Most people do this where I run.  There is no arrow indicating this, but most just start out that way.  To me it feels right.
The walkers and talkers double and triple abreast create the most challenge.  They are not paying attention to the sounds around them, and they don't hear others coming up and they don't move.  I assume I will need to go off trail or track to pass them.  I should not think I should have to warn them of my presence, nor do I expect them to move.  If I am keeping time and wanting distance, I can't stop and chit chat.  When single people are walking or jogging on the track and I am about to pass, I try to give them a wide margin, so not to startle anyone.  I am not a running snob, but I believe we all need to share the road.  Other runners or walkers listening to music may not hear your approach either.  I also try to give them a wide margin when I pass.  Most people are aware of the need to share, and that others have different paces.  I have had some interesting conversations with walkers and runners after my miles are logged in.  Recently a woman named Margaret, wanted to share with me her new FitBit.  She told me how much she likes to come and walk the track with the trees in bloom and the birds chirping in the morning.  She was proud to show me the footsteps her FitBit had logged.  She walks to the recommended 10000 steps a day.  Having the Fitbit on her wrist keeps her thinking about the need to move for health.  I see her walking regularly now.  Today I Passed  a new walker.

Seeing her out walking made me happy.  She had a cane for stability, and a bottle of water with her.  I tried very hard to not race by her, and ran on the far edge of the path to pass her.   I did not want to startle her.  She seemed to adapt to my passing without any difficulty.  After another lap I saw another scene I needed to stop long enough to get a picture.  

One Man Down

No, this was not a runner collapsed from exhaustion.  Not a naked man found dead in the grass.  This was some kind of mannequin, used to test skills of first responders.  I remembered that the Beaumont Police Department and Fire Departments were competing against each other this weekend at The Wellness Center.  Quite an interesting scene when you run around the corner!  I was done with my 4.1 mile run before the competition started and I was a little disappointed.  That would have been a great distraction to help the miles pass by fast!  Maybe next time!  

But those of you on the road, remember to watch out for runners and cyclists.  For you on the path or tracks be sure you are a respectful walker or runner.  Be mindful that you may be blocking others who wish to pass.  Stay to the right if you are slower (but left is ok if you are consistent) and don't blast by older people out for a stroll and startle them.  They may not come back, and its important to encourage each other.  To the Police and Fire Departments, good luck reviving that dummy!  




No comments:

Post a Comment