Sunday, July 12, 2015

Recap Of The Biggest Race

We arrived pretty tired and a bit sick to Minneapolis, but the energy of the event kept us going.  The day before the race, we went to the Minnesota Fairgrounds and mapped out the route.

 The plan was to run it as a slow training run,
to familiarize ourselves with a double out and back complex route.  After running a mile, I was out of breath, coughing, so I told Ben he could keep running, but I would prefer to walk for today, and hope for a rain delay to Tuesday.  The forecast was terrible, and I would have loved an extra day to rest up from double moves and travel, to feel well to run but it was not to be.  The term "rain date" apparently only referred to lightening strikes, and then with a 30 min. delay after each strike before starting the race.  We saw that it was going to be a race up and down hills comparable to 6.5 stories in a downpour and with lots of water covered areas.  I think I still would have done fairly well, but I did not enjoy this run for several reasons.  1) I was pretty exhausted from separating household items into short term, mid term and long term living arrangements.  It was very complicated.  2) We actually orchestrated and assisted in moving our living accommodations 4 times in 5 days, then traveling to Houston to fly out.  I had a headache, sore throat and upset stomach up to and including racetime and for several days afterwards.  Not what you want to feel in perfect weather.  Pretty nasty in cold wet downpour.  It had tapered off by the time I finished the race, at 29.03 minutes.  3) Just a minute before the starting gun went off, I was told if I did not want to be disqualified I should take off my headset and turn off the program on my cell phone.  The woman said depending on my time, they may not care, but according to rules, I could be disqualified.  OK, so I had our car key in my sports bra, cutting into my sternum; I now had my soaked cell phone and case attached to my upper right arm, and also my headset tucked in my shorts.  The real problem for me?  I pace to music.  I had not read all the fine details of the games rules, and apparently the committee could if you did very well, consider you may have had professional coaching help being piped into your ears instead of golden oldies.  Looking around I did not see anyone else with music apparatus.  Music is what makes running enjoyable for me.  I love to run to oldies hits.  No matter what I did time wise, I want to be in the books for running this race.  I did not want any reason to be disqualified!  I did not know what pace I started off, but I was ahead of Ben.  Looking back, I know I must have started out too fast for my physical condition that day.  I learned from Tim our running coach, that when you are not watching your pace by technology, 99% of people run faster than they think they are.  I was trying to keep pace with two other women who also had lavender cards pinned to their backs.  Lavender was 60 to 64 age group.  I am usually either ahead or in pace with fast "middle aged" females....these two were easily keeping me chasing them.  It was ok and I was close behind them until awhile after the two mile sign.  A crowd and photographers that were at the summit of the largest hill was yelling and cheering everyone on, encouraging you to give it all you got, because the finish was just ahead...so I did pick up my pace, feeling a bit short of breath and panting, but I nailed that hill and put everything I had out there, only to find around the corner there was at least a block and 1/2 left with hills to go!  That last bit was so hard, but unlike a few of my cohorts, I did not walk, I kept running, and averaged I think it was close to 9.23 per mile.   Having a virus, being really exhausted from moving and travel, I was pretty happy with how i did.  My husband pulled in front of me after the big hill.  Many others were ahead of me too, but I did finish strong.  I took 17th place our of 24, 66 of 117 females, and 171 of 257 of the fastest group of people 50 and up. It was by far not my best day out, but the biggest race and the biggest event I have competed in.  First place was taken by a long distance runner, at an unbelievable time of 21 minutes plus a few seconds.  The previous National Record was 22mins +  I bet it will be the new record.  Amazing !  The first one is in the books.  We learned a lot!


Immediately after the race I felt pretty tight in my lungs, dizzy and nauseated.  I found a bench and laid down for a minute or two and felt much better once I could catch my breath.  Once I got up, I saw a couple and a vintage man walking my way.   "Jeff" told me his friend Peter, was 88 and just finished the 5K.  Peter was looking pale, and shaky.  A tall gray haired man who did not look 88 or even close, was wandering around a bit, saying " I think I am gonna go down".....  The nurse in me came out, and my focus was on Peter.
 Jeff said to him to just keep walking like he always does after finishing, adding that he and his wife cannot believe his ability and they follow as many of his races as possible.   Peter said a second time he felt like he was going to go down, when I caught his arm and said, hey, a few minutes ago when I finished, I felt the same way.  A few minutes on the wooden bench, and I felt much better.  I usually walk till I recover too, but I felt pretty bad so I tried it and it really seemed to help.  I was thinking, if this 6 foot man faints and falls,  he's gonna get hurt.  I lead him to the bench and helped him recline on it.  He did not perk right up, so I asked him if he minded if I check his pulse.  He was at 200 beats per minute initially and after about four minutes he was back to 120, and steady.  His color was better, and he sat up.  I got talking with the group, and found that Peter had been a family friend and the young couple love to travel with him as his support team.  They are amazed with his ability, at his age.  He took first of the male, 85 to 89.  He too had not started running until later in life, and found that he could compete at an advanced age.
 During this time, my husband I saw across the street waving his hands at me to get my attention.  I was having a nice visit with this group of new friends, and waved back.  He waved more vigorously, and pointed to a water bottle, so I assumed he thought I needed water, and I suggested Peter get some too.  Crossing the street, a young man with a huge camera came up to me, said to me, "Is this you???" as he pulled out of his pocket a copy of the Jim Melaro Olean Times' Herald photo and article.  I was stunned.  I asked him if he were from Olean, hopefully!  He was not but is a Minneapolis reporter, who was assigned to write a follow up on the OTH article.  I was still so surprised, it seemed surreal.  Ben came over and said he was waiting in line for water when he heard a loudspeaker blurt out, " Is there a Kathy Hull here?"  several times.  He walked up to the announcing booth and said," I am not sure how or why, but I think you may be looking for my wife.!'   He was told a reporter was trying to find me after the race.  Matt had graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in journalism.  I did not ever get an answer as to how he had been given the OTH article.  He said his style was just to follow us around for awhile and get a feeling of us and our experience.  He would decide what and how to write it later.  He took a few candid shots of us together, but he never said he had gotten any along the route.

When the Senior Games Daily News came out the next day, we had forgotten about the informal unlikely interview.  Ben was reading and said " Hey, you have to see this!  Look you are on the front page!  "  The article brought tears to his eyes.  He and I both tend to try to forget and put behind us the dark days, way too many of them.  But it is a part of our history.   It is no longer the dominant theme any more.  We have forged ahead, together, denying that anything can slow or stop us.  Its not true of course, but events like that have such a strong effect on you, that you must choose to live in that moment, hang on to it, let it command what you do or don't do, or try to run as far and as fast from it as possible.  Thats why we run, and we run together!  So much heartfelt thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far.....the doctors, nurses, therapists, friends, family.  I wouldn't be here, and Ben would not be where he is today with me.  We are so appreciative.  Enjoy something about each day.  Move forward and leave the bad stuff behind.  Walk or run to a better future.   CS Lewis was right!

No comments:

Post a Comment