Monday, July 13, 2015

Amazing Statistics

For many reasons, this was not the most enjoyable race for me but it was the most satisfying, the most humbling, the most inspiring and most memorable.

The Games are still going on, but Ben had to get back to work, and I too had business and moving issues to take care of, so we came back early.

After the last post, I sat down to reflect on a few of the  people I met at the National Senior Games.  The first athlete I met was at the airport.  She introduced her self as an 80-84 y.o 5K contestant from Georgia.  She had her husband, son and daughter in law with her, and her grandchildren and more family joining to cheer her on race day.  I checked the results and there she was.  Andrea Harrison of Newnan Georgia, won Bronze for a 3rd place finish of 12:18 min per mile pace for a time of 38:13.  The bright smile and the "yellow shoes" I was told to look for on race day!

The second person who impressed me was "Peter", who said he was 88 and  from Mississippi, but qualified in Florida.  I checked the mens stats for that era and I found him.  I knew he took first as I saw his medal ceremony.  Peter Miazza, of Madison, MS set a 10:24 mi/min pace for a time of 32:16.  I wondered if this was a record time for this age group.  It seems impossible for an 88 year old male to be able to run that fast.  The NSOG record for 85 to 89 was set in 20021, @ 27:54.  Unbelievable.

I also wondered if the record for my age group was set this time, as I vaguely remember that the times of this Senior Games was faster than last in 2013.  It was faster, but not a record.  The 60-64 5K record was sent in 2009 at 19:55.  The record for men 60-64 was sent in 1989 @ 17:27.  Having run this one, I am so in awe of these people who don't let a number stop them from being their best.

The friends who took time from busy lives to drive to where we were staying and spend time sharing history and catching up, meant a lot too.  As we age, its more important to keep connected with others, and support each other in life.  Really nothing much else comes close to being of importance in the big picture.  Life and the aging that comes along with it, is filled with challenges, illnesses, situations, pitfalls and potholes.  Helping each other along the way, even if just by telling someone they mattered to you at one time in life, and you still care about them is a very healing pastime.  We need to continue to support each other on this journey.  We should try to make each day special in some way, and caring about our fellow man is top of the list.  

1 comment:

  1. Another brain injury survivor who is a masters track and field participant. Yea team!! (Aren't I glad that my procrastination today included looking at Masters USA "stuff". )

    OK, I am in Canada and my severe brain injury was along, long time ago, but I only discovered masters track and field a couple years ago. (I didn't know that such a thing existed.)
    The biggest difference between us is that I am a thrower, not a runner.
    That includes all throws - discus, shot put,hammer, javelin, and the weight throw - with the weight being my new favourite. (For 45 years I swore that nothing could surpass the thrill of throwing a javelin.)

    Glad to find you.
    Take care and keep pushing health and fitness at any age,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete