Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Winning Isn't Everything......Or Is It????

It is now less than 5 months until we will be taking off for Minneapolis.  I have had a week of not training, as life and the flu interrupted my ability to get up and run.  I am not giving in, I am going to head out with renewed determination to get moving.   Many use the excuse they don't have time, but isn't your health and wellbeing worth 30 minutes a day?   It also requires that I commit to taking care of myself, with enough rest, stretching and nutrition.  It is a matter of caring enough of about yourself to find the time for improved health and wellness. You are worth it.
  My sister jokes about my run posts by responding that she shoveled the sidewalk, and took out the trash ( which in 7 degree weather and a foot or two of snow is a challenge) but the fact is it is exercise, fresh air and stress relief.  It may not be by choice, but there are many ways to get the blood circulating and the metabolism up, regardless of the weather.

For me, I am best off if I get whatever exercise I am planning, first thing in the morning.  If I have work to do for the accountant, I must work around that.  If I have a doctor appointment, the same is needed.  But I still try to fit it in.  Life events can also be called excuses for not making exercise a priority.  In the stresses of life, there are not many excuses that should stop us from self care.  Whatever it is that keeps you working on self care should be your focus.  It may be an upcoming high school reunion.  If it's fitting into last year's shorts, looking fit and fabulous at a friend's wedding, improving your lab work at the doctor's office  or being able to chase and play with your grandchildren without needing an oxygen tank on hand, motivation is key.  Focus on what motivates you to want to be fitter and look better.

Some people just don't get it.  Some medically trained people don't get it.  This doesn't just surprise me, it shocks me.  I have had  3 doctors in various fields tell me either "winning isn't everything!", "there's always going to be someone faster than you," and " you can't win them all!" when at an appointment they have quizzed me on my progress.  One doctor I will mention here, Dr. Auvenshine of Houston, cheers me on! He shares my excitement.  And Dr Angel and his wife are avid runners, so he often there when I compete.  My motivation is to be as strong as I can be, so when life delivers  other setbacks, I will be better able to fight back.  Focusing on winning the shiny trophies, or medals is what keeps me trying.  Finishing a race is winning, and winning IS everything.  In this process, I have become the best I can be today.  You can too.  
  

I feel I need to write about this today, as I have friends I don't want to be discouraged if running is not  their best thing.  They may not be fast enough to win the medal or the trophy, but winning is trying.  Winning is losing a few pounds and keeping them off.  Winning is hanging in there to complete it.  Winning is not giving up!  Every step you take that you did not make yesterday is a win.  Winning at life is being the best you can be today.  Not giving in to distraction, putting your health and well being first is important to you being able to do your job or care for your family.  I know.  I have had a long time to think about it.  I have come a long way.  To me, winning is trying.  I am trying to win.  A very special lady in my life has told me that when I run, I run for my father, who loves sports but today has trouble walking.  She told me I run for my brother who broke his leg playing ice hockey that he loves and can't now run; I run for all those who cannot, and I run to show people that they could do this, cause I had lots of reasons, painful memories and fear that I had to overcome to run again.  She said I run to teach my children and grandchildren that there is always hope, and strength and determination can get you through many of life's setbacks.  When I am running or racing and I am struggling, I think of her words.  I think of my friend Dr Steve Sooudi, who was running in the Livestrong 5K post bone marrow transplant, his courage and strength.  These things get me the strength to keep going.  I also think of many other friends who have started or recommitted to running or walking programs knowing if I can do this, they can too.

If I don't bring home a medal in the National 5K, I have still won.   Today I am alive.  I am no longer a couch hugger.  I am healthy as I can be.  Winning is everything.  One step at a time.  Just being there, being the best I can be and trying is a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment