Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I Am Loving The Barre

I faced the cold today, and about  8:30 headed out to try The Barre Class again.  It's warm inside the dance studio, and with some great tunes playing and dim lights, I can almost pretend I am on a stage, performing somewhere, living the young girl dream I had of being a ballerina.  Growing up where ballet class for little girls did not exist, I almost enjoy every minute.  Almost!  Misty, the instructor is a personal trainer, and she does not let us slide into and get lost in the  the music for too long before challenging us physically.  What I love about this class, is this.  It is serious, devoted to largely lower body toning and strengthening, but also with a gracefulness and a determination for an all over work out as well.  Misty makes it look easy, but with each pose and movement she guides us through, she also provides personal guidance and modifications to help everyone stay " on their toes"
Misty leading the class 
Cross training and variety are good for you no matter what your training goals are.  Trying something new and learning new things challenges the brain as well, and helps you prevent burn out.  

The class not only challenges but she will adjust the classes to individual needs and requests when appropriate.  The barre also incorporates challenging stretching sessions.   I always feel taller and have better posture when I leave.  I left today feeling great.  I mean I felt good enough to drive home and run a 9.3 min mile around my neighborhood.  I only stopped to come in and warm up my hands that were numb, as I had forgotten to put gloves on.  I feel strong and conditioned after my barre class.  I may even head out to do another lap or two today, even though today was a scheduled rest day from running.  I cannot recommend this class enough to all ages and stages of fitness.  It is $12 if you pay a drop in fee, less if you choose to attend more often.  I can't wait until the next class!  Really.

I feel this is a great preparation for my "Road Dance" philosophy of running.  If I have great tunes, I enjoy hitting the road.

I am thrilled with my results so far.  I can tell my legs  and my core are stronger and better balanced.  Work out buddy Norma has noticed losing inches from her hips since starting this toning up.  And you feel great afterward!

I am posting the class schedule in case any of you in town would like to join me!  I love the bar (re)

No comments:

Post a Comment