Thursday, February 5, 2015

Rest Days For Recovery

It's true that once a certain activity has been incorporated into your routine, your day will not feel the same if you take a day off for rest.  However, particularly for the "slightly beyond middle aged," rest is an important part of  burn out and injury prevention.    I don't feel complete sometimes, when I get up, have that second cup of coffee, and don't head out to run. Whether your muscles or joint s ache or not, scheduled rest is an important training tool. Yesterday was supposed to be a run day for me, but still feeling not totally well I walked for many miles instead. Rest from running, yesterday was not a rest day.   Now today, I am anxious to get out and run.  

Both Ben and I are fully registered and have received our entrance ticket to get into the Games area for July.  Our credentials will arrive via mail, and since our qualifications have been verified, I need to start looking for flights.  I have booked a hotel, near the Road Race site.  Delta is the sponsoring  airline for the Senior Games.  I guess this is finally going to happen.

In preparation,  I would like to shave 60 to 90 seconds off my fastest time.  That doesn't sound like much, but I am finding it is.  Negative splits, splits, longer runs, cross training, all become new areas of my learning curve.  I have been contemplating throwing training mores out the window, and follow my running heart.  I got to this point, using music as my pacer and motivator.  The adrenaline of race day ups my speed.  My desire to win pushes me forward to the finish.  I have been questioning myself and the tried and true training programs to improve running.  Can I blend the two and come out where I want to be?  Should I listen to the Coach and embrace the science of running?

 At the moment, what keeps me happy and running forward, is the fun of Barre Class, the challenge of Tabata and Spinning class, along with my road dancing runs to favorite rock music.  Thats what makes this enjoyable for me.  My opinion that whatever you do you must enjoy to continue it is strong.  Right now, I am mindful of the Fartlek and Negative Split Science that I learned about from Coach Tim.  I do tend to run fast at first, when I am pumped to run in a race, and maybe zap some of my finishing speed.   The first few weeks after my session with Coach, I followed his assignment to the letter and added my cross training too.  I felt a bit tired and at work at running.  I lost some of the enjoyment, focused mostly on the task.  By week 3, I was concerned about personal burn out for me.

 When a chance to spend time with my family came,  I packed a bag of my gear to go visit my grandkids, intending to, but not taking the time to run.  Four days flew by with those precious, silly, love packed moments.  I drove home with a cold/flu brewing and worried about losing pace in my run.  I found so many days off frustrating mentally.  Physically I was exhausted, slept through long afternoon naps and early bedtimes.  My health had to come first; can't run with fever and congestion at all.  
This break forced me to rest.   Our bodies need recovery. Our minds need to contemplate what we are doing, why and how we should proceed.  I took time to regroup.  Not quit.  Rest is a scheduled necessary part of training.  Your body needs to recover.  One day a week is what my coach scheduled for me.  You also need to listen to your body.  You will find more success over the long haul.  Consistency is important to reaching your goal.  If you go more than 3 days without doing even some indoor exercise, begin to question your resolve and your goals.   I resolved in my "time off" that why I enjoy the run is the process as I know it. Music, fresh air, my own pace, is my enjoyment.  Competing in races  is honestly part of the thrill for me.  I did the training schedule, I did not enjoy the process, but I wanted the results.  How can this work?  I have decided to blend the two.  My training runs will be my way.  I am scheduling the work days when I try to pare down my time.  Hopefully it will work out for my times, but it will help to strengthen my body and mind.  That is success.

 We are well into February now, and I have heard on the news that February 18 is fast approaching.  Apparently people who study everything we do, have labeled this day of the year when most of  those who expressed a desire or a resolution to lose weight, get fit, decrease that cholesterol, fit into those jeans are either discouraged or lose interest in trying.  Taking a few sick days or a vacation from your work out routine is fine when needed, but recommit and select the day and time you will jump back in.  No excuses!!!   Don't be a statistic!  Don't give up.  If you have a lapse, don't punish yourself or quit.  Continue your quest to be a better, healthier you by not letting a slip up or so, weather days, etc make you a February statistic.  In fact, I challenge you to run or walk on February 18th especially, to prove your commitment.   For those who have fallen off the wagon, it should be a day to recommit!

  Whether you are best following a training schedule which I know my husband does, or a road dancer like me, you must enjoy what you do and be able to commit for the long haul.  And don't forget to rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment