Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Season Changes and the Countdown Begins

Fog signaled the first day of Spring.  Warm weather with high humidity, is not my favorite weather to run.  I did not feel like it today.  Back home in Southeast Texas with less than three months from the National Senior Games, I need to forget the fresh cold winter weather runs I had enjoyed so much.  Capturing the runs are part of my enjoyment.  Last weeks training runs were in Olean and Allegany New York, while visiting my family for my dad's 92nd birthday.


St. Bonaventure University, a favorite run when visiting Upstate New York.



 The weather in Minneapolis in July should be about like today here in Southeast Texas.....70 to 80, but I hope not this humid.  High humidity is my nemesis.  Its hard to breathe or cool off during exertion.  But, with the big race ahead on July 6th, this is a training reality that Ben and I both must get used to and build up tolerance to.  So, I headed out to my favorite track, and logged in 3.5 miles.  My time was not stellar.  The weather in Upstate New York last weekend was more to my liking for speed work.  Instead of looking backward, I trudged forward.  I did some of  the fartlek work and negative splits that I dont enjoy, each mile.   I did enjoy the views that were along my run.  The warmth that brings sweat and heavy air also brings beauty along my running trail.  Of course I had to stop long enough to capture a few pictures from my run.


Yesterday, the National Games sent an email out about the torch and the Opening Ceremonies.  The torch flame begins in Washington, DC its journey to Minneapolis in June, arriving on July 4th to open the National Senior Olympic Games.  The Opening Ceremony will end in fireworks, and then two days later I will be lined up to race.  Every day is bringing me one step closer to the race I have been planning for and running toward for over a year now.

It is more important than ever to eat like an athlete, train like an athlete, and think like an athlete.  My husband is looking for a few chip timed races we can enter to jump start our training levels.  Family and job conflicts have limited this the past few months.  My plan is to keep training and cross training, and in earnest to begin to work the fartleks and trim down the time on my comfortable pace long runs.  If I can cut a minute of time out each training run, It should make race pace faster.  At least right now that is my plan.  I think when I see that torch being brought into the stadium, I will have no problem picking up my pace.  I will do my best to the finish.  Thats what its all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment