Thursday, March 26, 2015

Time for Serious Training Plan


Two days ago I received an email from the National Senior Games that began like this.  It got my attention.  It is now 98 Days away, and after much consideration, I was at a cross roads.  Either I could just continue to maintain my level of fitness, and go and enjoy the experience of having earned the right to participate, or I can get serious and give myself the chance of a lifetime, to medal.  It is a long shot, I know.  I am not a career or elite runner.   Determination and a desire to put the weakness of the past miles behind me had gotten me to where I can be competitive.  Winning is a rush.  How will I feel if I don't try to put everything I have into this process and thus deny myself of a slim chance?   The competition is greater than any I have ever experienced.

 The Last National Games, in 2013 Medal Winners Female, 60-64 were 1st:  22:34.3 (a record time) 2nd: 25:36.5,  3rd 25:44.1.  In the last 6 months I have had a 24min. finish, and two 25 to 27min finish.  If I work hard, I have a slight chance. And a little luck on race day!

Statistically speaking  a 24 to 26  minute 5K can give me the best chance of placing in the top 5.  Will I be happy with a top 10 finish?  Only if I have given it all I have and  have trained like I mean it.  I cannot coast now.  For my age, to be able to run 6+ miles at 59 mins. is really good.  A lot of baby steps added up to get to that point and I am proud and thankful I can.  But if I am to continue the journey I started out and not be disappointed in myself, I must be all in.

Yesterday I turned that corner.  At a breezy, 60 degree sunny day, I took to my favorite track in my city.  It's tree lined and gravel, and  the only one nearby, so it  was a bit congested yesterday with many others out enjoying the weather.    My brain was telling me there were too many people on it to do the speed work I knew was called for. Was that an excuse?  Yep, but  one I didn't let myself listen to.   My pre run goal was to do a steady pace average of 9 minute miles for 3 miles for the next week.  That is with passing people, crossing a few driveways of traffic along the way, and keeping it steady.  At times, I have done 7-8+ secs. mile pace.  But on training runs, my body prefers a 9 to 10 min. pace and more miles.  Long slow training runs for me used to be 10 to  11 min./mile average if I was just enjoying it.  I moved that down to 9 to 10 min. miles for the past month.  For the remainder of March, I am going to adjust to a long training run pace to 9 min. miles. The next step for April will be to increase the number of negative splits I run and try to drop steady pacing to 8 to  9 mins per mile for 3-4 miles.   Once that feels comfortable, I know then on race day with adrenalin and extra coffee I should be able to  log a chip time of 25 to 26 mins.  If I can keep focused, and cut time off the 9 min miles I should be able to have a decent time, and feel well afterward.    I know setting a record is out of my reach.  The impressive record of 22+mins. for age 60 female 5K is not on my horizon.  But trying to be faster is within my reach.   Five  months ago when I chip timed a 24 min. 5K I was feeling great and having a good race day.  I was not actively training to cut seconds.  Now I am.  I know it is possible with enough hard work and focus.

Being an older runner, I am acutely aware of the possibility of injury.  Injury takes you out of the game.  I cannot afford illness or injury at this point.  So, that in mind always, When I slowed to catch my breath after yesterdays 3 mile sprint, I felt tightness in my knees and decided to walk an additional 2 miles and then go home to stretch.  That was enough.  Its a balance.  You need to train, but know that a fine line cannot be crossed without slowing you down or stopping progress.   Today will again be a cross train day.  The stationary bike, stretching and a Barre Class will do for today.  Tomorrow, the goal will be to run a 4 mile 9 min. per mile pace. I want to slowly build my endurance to try to get my stamina up to comfort at the 8 min. mile pace for 4 miles.  In the mean time, the race in Houston on April 4th will give me some idea of my race pace now and if my plan will be enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment