Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Trudging Ahead, Weather Or Not!

I use the term " trudging" but it feels more like swimming lately.  We have had so much rain and thankfully the drought is over, but with the rain has been bad storms and incredible humidity.  This does not make for great outdoor training in Southeast Texas.  I found a sunset run preferable to running when the sun is out.  Early or not, sun with the humidity makes an unpleasant run.  Today, I was able to head out at around 8am, and run on the outdoor track I prefer.  It has much shade, and is the crushed granite that is easier on joints, so I managed to get in a 2.5 mile run at a 9min/mile pace average.  When I felt overheated, I walked into the Wellness Center, and finished the additional mile that I was aiming for on the indoor track.  AHHHH air conditioning!  This is how I got through last summers training runs.  It is necessary to be acclimated to some heat and humidity.  Minneapolis in July can have some warmth and humidity too.  I checked today the average temps for Minneapolis in July.  Accuweather.com indicated that the first week in July the temperature highs ranting from high 70s to low 80s.  The low temps average low 60s.  That sounds heavenly to me today, but depending on the weather the morning of the race (8am) and the wind or elevation of the route, the you must consider that the weather can be your nemesis, and you must train for it.  Todays NIKE training goal was to do 3miles.  I did 3.5, and plan a stationary bike ride this afternoon, and Barre Class tomorrow. Time to ramp up the miles and the muscle strength.  My aim for now until mid June is conditioning.  Mid June until race day, my focus will be speed work at the 4 mile mark.  My thought is that if I can maintain my goal training speed at 4 miles, the 3.1 on race day will not be out of my reach to be competitive.

Hydration is key as well.  I have downed a gatorade, and bottle of water.  Twice what I would drink in cooler days.  Hydration and nutrition is from now to race day also part of the program.  Before we eat anything, we stop and think about what our training bodies need nutritionally.   Breakfast before the run today was a banana.  Potassium is an important electrolyte sweating depletes.  Post run protein food was a Greek yogurt.  14 grams of protein, and calcium which is necessary for bones, muscle functioning and metabolism.   Mindful eating can't help but be good for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment