Monday, September 14, 2015

So Far So Good, and Reasons to Keep Moving

I rested which actually means did nothing but eat, sleep, rest, for two weeks.  In two weeks time added to the time I was just worn out from too much life issues when
exercise was sporadic at best, I got weak.  My muscles were weaker, looked smaller.  I will make a judgement from my experience, that it doesn't take long to lose tone and strength as we age.   In past reading, I remember that muscle memory will bring you back up to baseline, but you must move.  Light exercise, walking at first for a few days, then Ben decided I was ready to do a faster walk\ slow jog on Sunday, with him.  I did well enough to complete a circle around our new neighborhood, after a day visiting with my grand kids.  I did not hold up as well playing I noticed.  I tired out quick for me.  So I decided Ben may be right.  I survived, felt pretty good for rest of the day, but tuckered out early.  After a good nights sleep, I am tired today.  Noticeably tired, but that only means I need to walk more today.  Or at least try.  I can feel parts of my legs that are sore and have not been used in a while.  The safest way to do this is to balance rest with activity.  After I get my Monday chores done, I plan a walk, a hot shower and an afternoon nap.  On the mend again, also for now, means on the road again.  I will not give in to weakness.  I continue to strive to be the strongest and best I can be for today.
A visit with this doctor will keep you running!  

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, I have been following you since I read an article in the Beaumont paper about your challenges. I'm sorry I did not catch up with you to say hello at the 2015 National Senior Games. I should have sent you a message of encouragement sooner, better late than never. Keep up the good fight, you have already overcome so much and it is an indication that you have the resolve to regain your strength. All of us at NSGA are cheering for you and hope to see you guys running in Birmingham in June 2017!! Have a great Thanksgiving. Best, Del Moon - NSGA Communications and Media Director

    ReplyDelete